This form cookie is rolled out with a rolling pin and can be cut into a variety of shapes as a Christmas cookie. I do not use candy sprinkles as the food dyes and chemicals in them may be harmful to human beings. Turbinado or date sugar and currants are an alternative way of decorating these.
1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour 1/2 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 3/8 cup (6 tablespoons) softened butter
1/4 teaspoon salt 1 egg, beaten
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Mix the flour, soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the honey, butter, beaten egg, and vanilla extract. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix well. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 60 minutes.
- When ready to bake, pre-heat oven to 350o Lightly oil 2 cookie sheets.
- On a lightly floured work surface roll out the dough so it is 3/16” thick. Use cookie cutters to shape cookies and transfer to the cookie sheets with a metal spatula. Sprinkle cookies with date or turbinado sugar.
- Bake the cookies for 14-16 minutes until they are firm and do not stick to the pan. Remove from the oven and place on wire racks to cool. Makes 24-30.