This is a spice muffin with nuts and raisins where the sweet potato provides moisture, a pleasant texture, and an attractive reddish hue.
1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour 1/2 cup honey
1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda 1 tablespoon dark molasses
3/4 teaspoon salt 3/8 cup oil or butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 teaspoon nutmeg 1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potato
1/3 cup raisins 1 large egg, beaten
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl mix the flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the honey, molasses, oil, yogurt, sweet potato, and beaten egg.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400o Lightly oil 12 muffin cups.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients so that the dry ingredients are moistened and the batter is homogeneous. Mix in the raisins and chopped walnuts and spoon the batter into the muffin cups so they are 3/4 full.
- Bake the muffins for 25-27 minutes until firm and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove the pan from the oven and take the muffins out of the pan and put them on a wire rack to cool.