This biscuit originates from the Deep South and is soft, moist, and slightly sweet.
2 cups whole wheat flour 1/3 cup oil
1-3/4 teaspoons baking soda 2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
Pinch nutmeg 1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potato
- In a large bowl mix the flour, soda, salt, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl mix the oil, honey, yogurt, and sweet potato.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400o Oil 2 flat baking sheets.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients so that they are moistened. Turn the dough on a lightly floured work surface and knead 5-6 times incorporating any loose fragments of dough and creating a soft, pliable dough. Pat or roll the dough into a square which is 1/2” thick. With a 2” round biscuit cutter or glass, cut the dough into circles and place on the baking sheet 1” apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes until brown, firm to the touch, and the biscuit comes easily off the pan with a spatula. Remove the pans from the oven and place the biscuits on wire racks to cool. Makes 21.