This bronze-colored loaf is moist and spicy and appropriate for the fall.
1 cup honey 3 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sweet molasses 2 teaspoons baking soda
1/3 cup oil 1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt 2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup water 3/4 teaspoon ginger
1 large egg beaten 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 15oz. can (1-2/3 cups) pureed pumpkin 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup raisins
Optional: 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl mix the flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, mix the honey, molasses, oil, yogurt, water, beaten egg, and pureed pumpkin.
- Pre-heat the oven 350o Line two 8”x 4” loaf pans with wax paper and trim off the excess.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir so that all the dry ingredients are moistened and the batter is homogeneous. Mix in the raisins and walnuts if desired. Spoon the batter into the pans so they are ¾ full and smooth the tops.
- Bake the loaves for 65-70 minutes until firm and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove the pans from the oven and take the breads out of the pans to cool on wire racks. Each loaf produces 15 slices.